All that is said within therapy is confidential information protected by law. Even the fact that you are in therapy is confidential. However, there are a few exceptions to confidentiality, which you should be aware of.
- If I suspect that you may hurt yourself or others
- I am a mandated reporter by law, which means that if I suspect child, depended adult or elderly abuse, I will need to report it to the proper authorities.
- If the very rare cases in which a judge subpoena your chart, such as in custody trails or when your emotional condition is an important question, I may need to bring it in
You can find more information about your privacy in the following HIPPA document <insert it>
- A child is anyone less than 18 years old
- Depended adult can be someone who is either physically disabled or mentally challenged
- Elderly is anyone over 65 years old
- Abuse refers to physical, sexual, emotional abuse or neglect